You do everything possible to maintain the appearance of youth and vitality, but it can be hard to keep up with the daily demands of your skin. That’s why you should consider microdermabrasion! The process creates a smoother, more even complexion and can help reduce breakouts and signs of aging. Skin Center NYC offers the best solutions for those who want their skin to look as young as it can be.
How Does Microdermabrasion Work?
Microdermabrasion is a type of facial that uses tiny crystals to gently buff away dead skin cells and stimulate collagen production. This helps to reduce fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, and other imperfections that can appear on your face over time.
It’s important to note that microdermabrasion is not the same thing as a chemical peel or laser treatment — it doesn’t cause any damage to the epidermis (the outermost layer of your skin) or dermis (the middle layer). Instead, it exfoliates the topmost layer of dead skin cells while leaving everything else intact.
How Many Sessions Will I Need?
The amount of sessions you will need depends on your age, skin condition, and other factors such as how much sun exposure you have received in your lifetime. Those who are older than 50 usually see the best results after six to eight treatments, but younger people can notice significant improvement after just one or two.
What are the contraindications for Microdermabrasion?
We recommend to avoid microdermabrasion facial in the following cases:
- open wounds, cuts, scrapes, or sunburns;
- irritated or hypersensitive skin;
- skin conditions like acne, rosacea, or eczema;
- autoimmune diseases (e.g. psoriasis, lupus);
- Accutane use within 4 months;
- cold sores (you should consult with a physician about antiviral medication).
It’s also not advisable for pregnant women, those who have had recent surgery or are taking blood thinners. People with a history of keloids should avoid this treatment too.
One week prior to Microdermabrasion, you should do the following:
- stop using retinol products (Retin A, Renova etc.);
- stay hydrated and use gentle cleansers;
- avoid any exfoliating products that might be irritating;
- apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher daily.
It’s important to take care of your skin after the treatment. Here are a few tips:
- gently wash your face with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water;
- apply a moisturizer to soothe your skin and keep it hydrated;
- avoid using makeup for at least 24 hours after the procedure;
- be sure to wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher;
- avoid strenuous activity for at least 24 hours;
- stop using AHAs and retinol products during the healing process;
- don’t visit saunas or swimming pools.
If you have any questions about whether microdermabrasion is right for you or would like to schedule an appointment for your first treatment, give us a call today at 212-257-0222.